Saturday, September 6, 2008

What's The One Thing

My Friend and brother in Christ, Steve Burdick, wrote a wonderful devotional about following God with your whole heart! I felt compelled to post it on my blog because many of us put our passion, whether it is golf, hunting, rock climbing, sky diving, music, etc. in place of God. We get totally immersed in this activity and we don't make time for what is important in life such as our relationships with God, family, & friends. I was a prime example of someone who put sports as my god, especially in college when I played golf. After I met Steve Burdick at a College Golf Fellowship event, I learned the importance of putting God first in my life and letting everything else fall into place. Once I made Him a priority, I found myself at peace. I have never been happier and I know money, fame, and golfing success doesn't compare and can't replace my relationship with Jesus Christ, my wife, and family. If you have a similar story, I urge you to check out www.cgfonline.org and contact one of the CGF staff. Also, if you would like to subscibe to Links Daily Devotionals go to www.linksplayers.com. Enjoy!

Burdick Family


Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Mark 10:21, NIV)


Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Mark 10:21, NIV) I was fortunate enough to play college golf at Stanford University with Tiger Woods. He was a freshman when I was a senior, and I have many fond memories of that year--like when Tiger would carry our luggage at the airport and sleep on the rollaway bed in the hotel. Those were the days!


However, one memory has stood out above the others and took place when Tiger came on his recruiting trip to Stanford. While eating pizza together one night, I asked Tiger what he did besides play golf. I will never forget his response, as he looked at me with a dead straight face and said, "Eat and sleep." How sad. Golf had become his god.


Now, obviously his hard work, dedication, and incredible talent has allowed him to become probably the greatest player ever, but there is so much more to life than the game of golf. When I think about Tiger and this memory, I cannot help but compare him to a man in the Bible who had a very interesting encounter with Jesus (Mark 10:17-31). The Bible tells us that this man was extremely wealthy, powerful, and successful at a young age. Does that not describe Tiger?


When this high achieving young man came to Jesus searching for eternal life, Jesus literally looked into his heart, expressed deep love for him, and then dropped the bomb. He told this materially rich yet spiritually bankrupt man that he was holding on to "one thing" that kept him from eternal life. In summary, Jesus told him to sell all, give all, and follow Jesus. This man was left with a choice to respond to God's initiative.

Unfortunately, the Bible tells us that this man walked away from Jesus sorrowful and grieving. He had made his choice. The things of this world were more important to him than what Jesus was offering--an intimate relationship with God and eternal life.


At some point in all of our lives, we are faced with this same choice. Sometimes we face this choice on a daily basis as things creep into our life and become "gods" to us. Will we choose to sell all, give all, and follow Jesus? What is the "one thing" that is keeping you from following Jesus with all your heart? Is it money, power, success, a relationship, a job, a ministry...something else?


Remember, it is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Galatians 5:1). Let go of anything that is keeping you from experiencing the freedom that God desires for us as we follow Jesus and experience eternal life!

No comments: